Haga Palace

Stockholm, Sweden

Haga Palace

8.2

Haga Palace (Swedish: Haga slott), formerly known as the Queen's Pavilion (Swedish: Drottningens paviljong), is located in the Haga Park, Solna Municipality in Metropolitan Stockholm, Sweden. The palace, built between 1802¬†‚Äď 1805, was modelled after ballet-master Gallodiers Italian villa in Drottningholm by architect Carl Christoffer Gj√∂rwell on appointment by King Gustaf IV Adolf for the royal children. It has been the home or summerhouse for several members of the Swedish royal family ‚Äď most notably it was the birthplace of the present King ‚Äď until 1966 when King Gustaf VI Adolf transferred its disposal to the government and it was turned into a guesthouse for distinguished foreign official visitors. In 2009, it was announced by Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt that the rights of disposal to the palace would be transferred back to the royal court to be used by Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden and her husband, Prince Daniel, Duke of V√§sterg√∂tland, as a wedding gift in 2010. They moved into Haga Palace after their wedding on 19 June that year.

When King Gustaf III was killed in 1792 the work on his grandiose castle at Brunnsviken was cancelled and his son and successor King Gustav IV Adolf instead started building a more modest palace. The King turned to relatively young architect Carl Christoffer Gjörwell with the aim to build a modern house in Italian villa style. Gjörwell had been employed at Haga since 1788 and had studied for Louis Jean Desprez both at the erection of the royal pavilion and with the incomplete castle in Brunnsviken. He was also the architect behind the Echo Temple. He modelled it after ballet-master Gallidiers Italian villa at Drottningholm which Gjörwell had design himself. The foundation was laid-out in May 1802 and already before the end of the year the building was under roof. Building contractor was Herman Edberg who, aside from having skilled craftsmen as bricklayers and carpenters also had a group of infantrymen from Södermanlands regemente at his disposal. In December 1803 The King was informed that the stands were removed and the marble columns were raised. The columns were originally from Finland and had been brought to Poland during the reign of King Sigismund. They were taken back to Sweden by King Gustaf II Adolf and used by Nicodemus Tessin the Younger in the building of the German Church in Karlskrona. When the Church was rebuilt after a massive fire in 1790 14 columns were left available for future use. The floor was made out of oak from Fredrikhovs Castle and the stone was originally intended for King Gustav III:s never completed castle at Brunnsviken. The whole interior was finished at the end of 1805.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Haga Palace

View more options near Haga Palace

Nearby Tours & Activities