Stoney Stanton, United Kingdom

Stoney Stanton is a large village in the Blaby district of Leicestershire, England with a population of over 3,454 in 2001, increasing to 3,793 at the 2011 census. It constitutes a civil parish. The village lies some five miles east of Hinckley, just to the east of the M69. Nearby villages include Croft and Sapcote. It is some ten miles from Leicester. As may be gathered from its name it is set on rocky outcrops of igneous rock, granodiorite, a fact which has had its influence on its history. Even in the eighteenth century, Parish records show that gravel and stone were being removed from Carey (or quarry) Hill in the centre of the village. That would later, in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries be quarried for its valuable stone, along with Lanes Hill (now the water-sports & diving centre known as Stoney Cove), Clint Hill, and Hall's Court. Carey Hill and Hall's Court quarries were later filled in, but Clint Hill remains, a relic of the village's industrial heritage, now filled with water and a haven for wild-life.

The village is of ancient origin, being mentioned in the Domesday Survey of Leicestershire (1086) In Guthlaxton Wapentake…. Robert the Bursar holds in STANTONE 6 caracutes of land. Land for […….ploughs] 7 villagers with 3 smallholders have 3 ploughs; 4 free men; meadow, 12 acres; woodland 3 furlongs long and 1 furlong wide. The value was and is 20s


Stoney Stanton Tours & Activities