Fort Macquarie

Sydney, Australia

Fort Macquarie

Fort Macquarie was a square castellated battlement fort built in 1798 at Bennelong Point, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, on the site where the Sydney Opera House now stands. It was demolished in 1901 to make way for the Fort Macquarie Tram Depot.

The original name of Bennelong Point, the finger of land on which Fort Macquarie was built, was Inbughalee (djubuguli), Farm Cove was Yoolaugh and Sydney Cove was Warane. On 25 November 1789 an Aboriginal man named Bennelong was captured and brought to Governor Phillip. Eventually three huts were built on this spit of land for Bennelong, his wife Bangaroo, and other Indigenous visitors.



Accommodations near Fort Macquarie

View more options near Fort Macquarie0

Nearby Tours & Activities