Charles's Church, Tallinn

Tallinn, Estonia

Charles's Church, Tallinn

Charles's Church (Estonian: Kaarli kirik) is a Lutheran church in Tallinn, Estonia, built 1862-1870 to plans by Otto Pius Hippius. It is Tallinn's grandest 19th-century church.

Tõnismägi hill has been the location of a chapel probably since the 14th century. In 1670, during the time of Swedish rule, the Swedish King Charles XI commissioned the construction of a church on the site, for the use of the Estonian and Finnish population of Tallinn (as opposed to the Baltic German population). The church was named after the king. In 1710, during the Great Northern War, this first wooden church was burnt down.



Accommodations near Charles's Church, Tallinn

View more options near Charles's Church, Tallinn0

Nearby Tours & Activities