Taunton Unitarian Chapel

Taunton, United Kingdom

Taunton Unitarian Chapel

Taunton Unitarian Chapel is on Mary Street, Taunton, Somerset, England. It was built in the early 18th century as a Baptist chapel, but later adopted Unitarianism. The exterior was extensively renovated in the 19th century in an Italianate style. The chapel has been designated as a Grade II* listed building.

Despite suffering significant persecution from their peers and the state, Baptists erected their first chapel in Taunton in 1670, on or near the current site. This was replaced in 1712 with the building that still stands today. During the 18th century, probably during the ministry of Joseph Jeffries, the chapel's form of worship became Unitarian, although this was forbidden by Parliament until 1813. The Presbyterians of Taunton merged with the Unitarian church in 1814, and later that century the chapel underwent significant renovation.



Accommodations near Taunton Unitarian Chapel

View more options near Taunton Unitarian Chapel0

Nearby Tours & Activities