National Botanical Garden of Georgia

Tbilisi, Georgia

National Botanical Garden of Georgia

The National Botanical Garden of Georgia (Georgian: ბაαƒ₯αƒαƒ αƒ—αƒ•αƒ”αƒšαƒαƒ‘ αƒ”αƒ αƒαƒ•αƒœαƒ£αƒšαƒ˜ αƒ‘αƒαƒ’αƒαƒœαƒ˜αƒ™αƒ£αƒ αƒ˜ αƒ‘αƒαƒ¦αƒ˜), formerly the Tbilisi Botanical Garden (Georgian: αƒ—αƒ‘αƒ˜αƒšαƒ˜αƒ‘αƒ˜αƒ‘ αƒ‘αƒαƒ’αƒαƒœαƒ˜αƒ™αƒ£αƒ αƒ˜ αƒ‘αƒαƒ¦αƒ˜), is located in Tbilisi, capital of Georgia, and lies in the Tsavkisis-Tskali Gorge on the southern foothills of the Sololaki Range (a spur of the Trialeti Range). It occupies an area of 161 hectares and possesses a collection of over 4,500 taxonomic groups.

Its history spans more than three centuries. It was first described in 1671 by the French traveller Jean Chardin as royal gardens which might have been founded at least in 1625 and were variably referred to as "fortress gardens" or "Seidabad gardens" later in history. The gardens appear in the records by Joseph Pitton de Tournefort (1701) and on the Tbilisi, map composed by Prince Vakhushti (1735). Pillaged in the Persian invasion of 1795, the garden was revived in the early 19th century and officially established as the Tiflis Botanical Garden in 1845.



Accommodations near National Botanical Garden of Georgia

View more options near National Botanical Garden of Georgia0

Nearby Tours & Activities