Vake, Tbilisi

Tbilisi, Georgia

Vake, Tbilisi

Vake (Georgian: ვაკე [vɑkʼɛ]) is a neighbourhood in southwestern part of Tbilisi, Georgia, on the right bank of the river Mtkvari; it is part of Vake District.

The name originated in the 19th century, meaning a lowland or low place. Vake is a settlement that originated on the territory of Old Vera. By the beginning of the 20th century, its borders were: to the east Varaziskhevi, to the north - Vere River, south and southwest - mountain skirts. During this period, the development of Tskneti Street (now Petre Melikishvili Street) reached Varaziskhevi with a small bridge over it. In Tbilisi Development plan of 1906 only the Nobility Gymnasium building is mentioned in this area (currently 1st building of Tbilisi State University). Then Tbilisi Spiritual Seminary was built not far from the gymnasium (later on this building became agricultural institute, now it is one of the clinics of Tbilisi State Medical University [formerly the 9th Hospital]).



Accommodations near Vake, Tbilisi

View more options near Vake, Tbilisi0

Nearby Tours & Activities