Independence Hall (Israel)

Tel Aviv, Israel

Independence Hall (Israel)

8.8

Independence Hall, originally the Dizengoff House (Hebrew: בית דיזנגוף) is the site of the signing of Israel's Declaration of Independence. It is located on the historic Rothschild Boulevard in Tel Aviv, Israel. From 1932 to 1971 housing the Tel Aviv Museum of Art, it is currently a museum dedicated to the signing of the Israeli Declaration of Independence and the history of Tel Aviv.

At the vicinity of where Independence Hall now stands, sixty-six families gathered on April 11, 1909 to conduct a lottery for plots of land in a new Jewish neighborhood, to be known as Ahuzat Bayit. Meir and Zina Dizengoff acquired plot number 43, on which they built their home. Meir Dizengoff served as the head of the new neighborhood council. In 1910, at a general meeting, the residents of Ahuzat Bayit, inspired by Theodor Herzl's Altneuland (English: Old-New Land), unanimously decided to rename their neighborhood Tel Aviv. As the neighborhood grew and became a city, Dizengoff became its first mayor.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Independence Hall (Israel)

View more options near Independence Hall (Israel)

Nearby Tours & Activities