Templeton, United Kingdom

Travel to Templeton

RAF Templeton is a former Royal Air Force station located near Templeton, Pembrokeshire, Wales which was operational between December 1942 and July 1945. It remains in use as Templeton Dry Training Area.

RAF Templeton initially formed part of No. 17 Group RAF, the training organisation within RAF Coastal Command, and had a particular role in training for the defence of the oil installations in Milford Haven. No 306 Ferry Training Unit (Bristol Beaufort) formed at the station in January 1943, later departing to Maghaberry in Northern Ireland. The Observer training flight, "O" Flight, of No. 3 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit RAF (Avro Anson) moved in from nearby Haverfordwest, staying until December 1943. From December 1943 to May 1944, the station hosted an American unit, using British-built aircraft, 1st Gunnery and Tow Target Flight, VIII USAAF, (Westland Lysander and Miles Master) towing targets for the fighters at the American training base at RAF Atcham, Shropshire. During the latter part of 1944, anti-aircraft target-towing Miles Martinets and Supermarine Spitfires of No. 595 Squadron RAF, based at Aberporth, used the airfield. In January 1945, No 8 OTU moved into Haverfordwest, and "A" Flight was detached to Templeton, training aircrew on photo-reconnaissance aircraft including the Supermarine Spitfire and de Havilland Mosquito. They only stayed until March but a small engineering unit remained at Templeton to carry out aircraft repairs. They moved to Benson, Oxfordshire, in June.



Accommodations in Templeton

There are 13 options for staying in Templeton.
Check out the deals we offer for lodging in Templeton.


Templeton Tours & Activities