Terrington, United Kingdom

Terrington is a large village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated in the Howardian Hills, 4 miles (6.4 km) west of Malton.

The village is mentioned four times in the Domesday Book as Teurintone. The lands were divided between the manors of Bulmer and Foston. At the time of the time of Norman conquest, lands in the manor were held by Ligulf, Northmann, Earl Morcar, Earl Waltheof and Gamal, son of Karli. Afterwards the lands were granted to Robert, Count of Mortain, Count Alan of Brittany and Berengar of Tosny. The manor was held soon after by Niel Fossard and then followed the descent of the manor of nearby Sheriff Hutton. Other lands were tenanted in the 13th century by the Latimer family and followed the descent of his manor at Danby until the 16th century. The manor was not held in demesne like other manors. In 1427 the manor was held by the lord of Sessay manor, Edmund Darell, and remained in his family until 1752. At that time it was sold to Henry Howard, 4th Earl of Carlisle. Those lands that were part of Foston manor became the property of the Lutrell family of Appleton-le-Street.


Terrington Tours & Activities