An equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington stands on the north side of Hyde Park Corner, London. The open space in which it stands, now the centre of a large roundabout, was once called Wellington Place. The statue portrays the Iron Duke on a campaign, mounted on his horse Copenhagen, with all hooves planted on the ground. It was executed in bronze by the sculptor Joseph Boehm and unveiled in 1888. The figures at the corners of the pedestal representative British soldiers, a Grenadier, a Scottish Highlander, an Irish Dragoon and a Welsh Fusilier. Wellington has a telescope in his right hand.
A great statue to a military hero.
A treat to visit and a great tribute to our fallen. Absolutley amazing.
This is marked incorrectly on Google Maps and is actually called the "Equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington" The bronze statue stands on a plinth of pink Peterhead Granite from Stirlinghill Quarry, near Boddam, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. The figures at the corners of the pedestal are those of representative British soldiers, a Grenadier, a Scottish Highlander, an Irish Dragoon and a Welsh Fusilier. This is a magnificent statue sitting opposite to Apsley House, which once was Wellington's London home. Magnificent!!
Very impressive statue.
Still looks good after 44 years...