Thringstone, United Kingdom

Thringstone is a village in north-west Leicestershire, England about 3 miles (4.8 km) north of Coalville. It lies within the area of the English National Forest.

Until 1875, Thringstone had been a township within the ancient parish of Whitwick. The township of Thringstone, based on a feudal (manorial) division of land carved out during the Anglo-Saxon period, comprised Thringstone village (then known as South Thringstone) and the hamlets of Peggs Green and Rotten Row in an area known as North Thringstone. Thringstone became an independent and autonomous civil parish in 1875, though this was dissolved in 1936 when outlying parts of the parish were transferred to other surrounding parishes and the remainder was transferred to the civil parish and Urban District of Coalville. The geographical area known as Thringstone today bears little resemblance to that known as Thringstone before World War II and today Thringstone is an unparished area and therefore has no parish council.


Thringstone Tours & Activities