Chapel of St Anne, Fort St Elmo

Valletta, Malta

Chapel of St Anne, Fort St Elmo

The Chapel of St Anne (Maltese: Kappella ta' Sant'Anna) is a Roman Catholic chapel located in Fort Saint Elmo in Valletta, Malta. Its existence was first documented in the late 15th century, and it was incorporated into the fort when the latter was constructed by the Order of St John in the mid-16th century. The chapel's present state dates back to the mid-17th century.

The existence of the chapel was first documented in 1488, and it predates the rest of Fort Saint Elmo and Valletta. It is therefore the oldest surviving structure on the Sciberras Peninsula. The chapel might have originally been dedicated to Erasmus of Formia (also known as St Elmo). When the Order of St John began construction of the fortress in 1552, it was named after St Elmo and the chapel was incorporated into its walls. At this point, the chapel was dedicated to Saint Anne.



Accommodations near Chapel of St Anne, Fort St Elmo

View more options near Chapel of St Anne, Fort St Elmo0

Nearby Tours & Activities