Church of the Jesuits, Valletta

Valletta, Malta

Church of the Jesuits, Valletta

The Church of the Circumcision of Our Lord (Maltese: Knisja taċ-Ċirkonċiżjoni tal-Mulej), commonly known as the Jesuits' church (Maltese: Knisja tal-Ġiżwiti), is one of the oldest churches in Valletta, Malta, and one of the largest in the diocese. It was originally built between 1593 and 1609 by the Jesuit order, and it is located adjacent to the Old University Building, which originally housed a Jesuit college known as the Collegium Melitense. The church was rebuilt in the Baroque style by Francesco Buonamici after suffering extensive damage in an explosion in 1634. The church remained in use after the Jesuits were expelled from Malta in 1768, and it is also used for Masters and Doctoral graduation ceremonies of the University of Malta, the successor to the Collegium Melitense.

Construction of the church began in November 1593, when its foundations were laid down. It formed part of a Jesuit complex occupying an entire city block, which also included the Collegium Melitense (now the Old University Building) that was constructed between 1595 and 1602. Construction of the church was completed in 1609.



Accommodations near Church of the Jesuits, Valletta

View more options near Church of the Jesuits, Valletta0

Nearby Tours & Activities