Palace Armoury

Valletta, Malta

Palace Armoury

8.6

The Palace Armoury (Maltese: L-Armerija tal-Palazz) is an arms collection housed at the Grandmaster's Palace in Valletta, Malta. It was the main armoury of the Order of St. John in the 17th and 18th centuries, and as such it was the last arsenal established by a crusader military order. Although today only a part of the original armoury still survives, it is still one of the world's largest collections of arms and armour still housed in its original building (although not the original location). The Palace Armoury has been open to the public as a museum since 1860.

In 1604, the Order's arsenal was transferred to the Grandmaster's Palace by Alof de Wignacourt, and was housed in a large hall at the rear of the building. At the time, it contained enough arms and armour for thousands of soldiers. The armoury was rearranged under Manuel Pinto da Fonseca's magistracy in the 18th century.




Accommodations near Palace Armoury

View more options near Palace Armoury

Nearby Tours & Activities