St Catherine of Italy

Valletta, Malta

St Catherine of Italy

8.4

The Church of St Catherine of Alexandria (Maltese: Knisja ta' Santa Katerina), commonly known as the Church of St Catherine of Italy (Maltese: Knisja ta' Santa Katerina tal-Italja, Italian: Chiesa di Santa Caterina d'Italia) is a Roman Catholic church in Valletta, Malta. It was built by the Hospitaller Langue of Italy and it serves as the parish church of the Italian community of Malta.

The church was built in 1576 by the Italian knights of St John to serve as their church. It was built adjacent to the Auberge d'Italie. Girolamo Cassar was commissioned to draw up the plans. In the 17th century the church was enlarged. An octagonal church was added to the existing chapel. The original chapel was changed into the sanctuary of the church. The church underwent a major restoration from 2001 till 2011. Today the church still serves as the parish church of the Italian community of Malta.



Accommodations near St Catherine of Italy

View more options near St Catherine of Italy

Nearby Tours & Activities