Iglesia de la Matriz

Valparaiso, Chile

Iglesia de la Matriz

8.2

The Iglesia de La Matriz del Salvador (The Matriz Church of the Saviour) is a church in the city of Valparaíso, Chile. Located in the heart of the port district (Barrio Puerto) of the city, surrounded by cobblestone streets and houses it has a historical importance in the city and was declared a National Monument of Chile in 1971.

In 1559, the Bishop of Santiago, Rodrigo Marmolejo, founded the first temple in Valparaiso, a small chapel that was really little more than a hut. From this point as the settlement grew a series of successive religious congregations: Augustinian (1627), Franciscan (1664), Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy (1715), Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary (1834) and Jesuits (1850) used the church. Wealthy local families developed the town and church giving it the distinctive architectural style that it has today.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Iglesia de la Matriz

View more options near Iglesia de la Matriz

Nearby Tours & Activities