Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice

Venice, Italy

Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice

9.2

San Giorgio Maggiore (San Zorzi Mazor in Venetian) is a 16th-century Benedictine church on the island of the same name in Venice, northern Italy, designed by Andrea Palladio, and built between 1566 and 1610. The church is a basilica in the classical Renaissance style and its brilliant white marble gleams above the blue water of the lagoon opposite the Piazzetta di San Marco and forms the focal point of the view from every part of the Riva degli Schiavoni.

The first church on the island was built about 790, and in 982 the island was given to the Benedictine order by the Doge Tribuno Memmo. The Benedictines founded a monastery there, but in 1223 all the buildings on the island were destroyed by an earthquake.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice

View more options near Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice

Nearby Tours & Activities