San Lio, Venice

Venice, Italy

San Lio, Venice

San Lio is a church located on the campo of the same name in the sestiere of Castello.

Built in the 9th century by the patrician family of the Badoer it was first named St Catherine of Alexandria. In 1054, it was rededicated to St Leone (san Lio in venetian dialect) in honor of pope Leo IX, who had favored the cause of Venice in a 1043 dispute between the Doge Contarini of Venice, the Patriarch of Aquileia over who had supremacy over the region of Grado.



Accommodations near San Lio, Venice

View more options near San Lio, Venice0

Nearby Tours & Activities