Santi Apostoli, Venice

Venice, Italy

Santi Apostoli, Venice

The Chiesa dei Santi Apostoli di Cristo (Church of the Holy Apostles of Christ), commonly called San Apostoli, is a 7th-century Roman Catholic church located in the Cannaregio sestiere of the Italian city of Venice. It is one of the oldest churches in the city and has undergone numerous changes since its foundation. The present building is the result of a major reconstruction project which was undertaken in 1575. The church is notable particularly for the Cornaro Chapel, an important example of Early Renaissance architecture, added by Mauro Codussi during the 1490s. The chapel is the burial place of several members of the powerful Cornaro family (Venetian: Corner), including Catherine Cornaro, Queen of Cyprus and Armenia. The church houses several works of art including pieces by Giambattista Tiepolo and Paolo Veronese.

In the 7th century Venice was not yet a city, but a collection of small communities scattered throughout the lagoon. St Magnus (Italian: San Magno), the Bishop of Oderzo, came to the lagoon and founded eight churches. According to a legend recounted by the historian Flaminio Cornaro, St Magnus had a vision of the Twelve Apostles who commanded him to build a church on a site where he saw twelve cranes. This location, eventually to be in the sestiere of Cannaregio, became the site of the church of San Apostoli. The church stands on the Campo dei Santi Apostoli at the beginning of the Strada Nuova (New Road).



Accommodations near Santi Apostoli, Venice

View more options near Santi Apostoli, Venice0

Nearby Tours & Activities