Gallarus Oratory

Ventry, Ireland

Gallarus Oratory

8.8

link http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/south-west/gallarusoratory/

The Gallarus Oratory (Irish: Séipéilín Ghallarais, Gallarus being interpreted as either "rocky headland" (Gall-iorrus) or "house or shelter for foreigner(s)" (Gall Aras) is a chapel located on the Dingle Peninsula, County Kerry, Ireland. It has been presented variously as an early Christian stone church by antiquary Charles Smith, in 1756; a 12th-century Romanesque church by archaeologist Peter Harbison in 1970; a shelter for pilgrims by the same in 1994. The local tradition prevalent at the time of Charles Smith attributed it to one Griffith More, being a funerary chapel built by him or his family at their burial place.