San Fermo Maggiore, Verona

Verona, Italy

San Fermo Maggiore, Verona

San Fermo Maggiore is a church built in Romanesque style in central Verona.

A church at this site may has been traced to the 8th century, and by the 11th century a second story and belltower was added by the Benedictine order. The campanile was not completed until the 13th century, it contains six bells in F cast in 1755 and rung with the Veronese bellringing art. The exterior has a roofline with pinnacles, and the church once held the tomb of a member of the Scaligers. The interior has later decoration, including an altarpiece of St Francis of Assisi by Giovanni Battista Belloti, whilst Veronese's Bevilacqua-Lazise Altarpiece was originally painted for a funerary chapel in the church. The presbytery hosts relics of the saints Fermo and Rustico.



Accommodations near San Fermo Maggiore, Verona

View more options near San Fermo Maggiore, Verona0

Nearby Tours & Activities