Gasometers of Vienna

Vienna, Austria

Gasometers of Vienna

7.8

The Vienna Gasometers are four gasholder houses, built as part of the municipal gas works (Gaswerk Simmering) in Vienna, Austria, from 1896 to 1899. They are located in the 11th district, Simmering. They were used from 1899 to 1984 to house gas holders, also known as gasometers, each of 90,000 m³ (3 million cu. ft.) storage capacity. After the changeover from town gas to natural gas between 1969 and 1978, they were no longer used and were shut down. Only the brick exterior walls were preserved. The structures have found new residential and commercial use in modern times.

The Gasometers were built from 1896 to 1899 in the Simmering district of Vienna near the Gaswerk Simmering gas works of the district. The containers were used to help supply Vienna with town gas, facilities which had previously been provided by the English firm Inter Continental Gas Association (ICGA). Once the contracts with the ICGA expired, the city decided to construct facilities to handle its own gas needs. At the time, the design was the largest in all of Europe.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Gasometers of Vienna

View more options near Gasometers of Vienna

Nearby Tours & Activities