Rotunde

Vienna, Austria

Rotunde

The Rotunde (German: [ro╦łt╩Őnd╔Ö]) in Vienna was a building erected for the Weltausstellung 1873 Wien (the Vienna World Fair of 1873). The building was a partially covered circular steel construction, 84 m (approx. 275┬áft) in height and 108 m (approx. 354┬áft) in diameter. For almost one century (followed after its own destruction by an exhibition hall in Belgrade, 1957) it was the largest cupola construction in the world, larger than the Pantheon in Rome (diameter 43,4┬ám); built in 118ÔÇô125. It was designed by Austrian architect Karl Freiherr von Hasenauer and built by the German company Johann Caspar Harkort of Duisburg. The Scottish engineer for the roof was John Scott Russell who used 4,000 tons of steel with no ties.

The central building of the World Fair was accepted enthusiastically by the public. It was used for shows and fairs later on. Alexander Girardi performed a concert in this hall. In 1898 a "Collektivausstellung ├Âsterreichischer Automobilbauer" (Collective Exhibition of Austrian Carbuilders) was shown during the "Kaiser Franz Joseph Jubil├Ąumsausstellung" (Emperor Franz Joseph Jubilee-Exhibition). The first four cars ever built in Austria-Hungary were shown there, amongst them the car built by Siegfried Marcus in 1888/89.



Accommodations near Rotunde

View more options near Rotunde0

Nearby Tours & Activities