Wiener Minoritenkirche

Vienna, Austria

Wiener Minoritenkirche

9.2

The Minoritenkirche (English: Friars Minor Conventual Church, related to the monastic Order of Friars Minor Conventual monks), formally called Italienische Nationalkirche Maria Schnee (English: Italian National Church of Mary of the Snows, related to the Italian Congregation who is the owner of this church), was built in French Gothic style in the Altstadt or First District of Vienna, Austria. In June 2021 the Society of Saint Pius X (SSPX) received the church as a gift.

The site on which the church is built was given to followers of Francis of Assisi in 1224. The foundation stone was laid by King Ottokar II of Bohemia in 1276. Duke Albrecht II later supported the building process, especially the main portal. The Gothic Ludwig choir was built between 1316 and 1328, and used as a mausoleum in the 14th and 15th centuries. Construction of the church was completed in 1350.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Wiener Minoritenkirche

View more options near Wiener Minoritenkirche

Nearby Tours & Activities