Bródno Cemetery

Warsaw, Poland

Bródno Cemetery

Bródno cemetery (Polish: Cmentarz Bródnowski) is an old cemetery in the Targówek district, in the eastern part of Warsaw, Poland. Occupying an area of 114 hectares (280 acres), it is the largest cemetery in Warsaw. With more than 1.2 million burials, it is one of the largest cemeteries in Europe.

At the end of the 19th century Warsaw's population was growing rapidly, and the available cemeteries were unable to cope with the demand. As a result, President of Warsaw Sokrates Starynkiewicz ordered land to be bought at Bródno in 1883. On 20 November 1884 the cemetery was consecrated by Archbishop of Warsaw, Wincenty Teofil Popiel. The cemetery was opened also to the citizens of the left-bank Warsaw in January 1885. The cemetery has been completely opened on 14 June 1887. The Bródno Cemetery served as a burial place mostly for the poor strata of Warsaw society. This was in contrast with the Old Powązki Cemetery, which had a reputation of cemetery for rich.



Accommodations near Bródno Cemetery

View more options near Bródno Cemetery0

Nearby Tours & Activities