Jerusalem Avenue, Warsaw

Warsaw, Poland

Jerusalem Avenue, Warsaw

Jerusalem Avenue (Polish: Aleje Jerozolimskie) is one of the principal streets of the capital city of Warsaw in Poland. It runs through the City Centre along the East-West axis, linking the western borough of Wola with the bridge on the Vistula River and the borough of Praga on the other side of the river.

The name of the street comes from a small village erected in 1774 by prince and marshal August Sułkowski for the Jewish settlers in Mazovia. The name of the village was Nowa Jerozolima (New Jerusalem), and the road to Warsaw was named Aleja Jerozolimska (singular, as opposed to the modern Polish name, which is plural). Although the village was abandoned shortly after its foundation, and most of the Jews eventually moved to the city itself, the name stuck and has been used ever since.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info


Accommodations near Jerusalem Avenue, Warsaw

View more options near Jerusalem Avenue, Warsaw0

Nearby Tours & Activities