Innere Stadt is the inner-most district of Vienna. Its historic centre dates back to Roman ages and has been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage list. It is encircled by the Ring Road (Ringstraße), a grand boulevard constructed along the old city walls, which were torn down starting in 1858. Along the Ringstraße are many famous and grand buildings, including the City Hall (Rathaus), the Austrian Parliament, the Hofburg Palace, the Natural History Museum (Naturhistorisches Museum), the Museum of Art History (Kunsthistorisches Museum), and the State Opera House (Wiener Staatsoper).
The very central point of Innere Stadt is the famous St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom), perhaps the most recognizable symbol of Vienna. From there, many of Vienna's most famous streets expand in every direction, including Graben and Kärntner Strasse. The centre is largely pedestrianized, and the remainder of streets open to traffic are mostly reserved for bus and taxi traffic - driving around is an intricate affair and is best avoided.