St Mary's Church, Windermere

Windermere, United Kingdom

St Mary's Church, Windermere

St Mary's Church is in the town of Windermere, Cumbria, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Windermere, the archdeaconry of Westmorland and Furness, and the diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice is united with that of St Martin's Church, Bowness-on-Windermere; St Anne’s Church, Ings; St Cuthbert's Church, Kentmere; St James' Church, Staveley and Jesus Church, Troutbeck. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.

The church originated as a proprietary chapel, built for Revd J. A. Addison from Liverpool in 1847–48. This was a simple structure, consisting of a nave, a chancel, and a south porch, with a bellcote over the chancel arch. In 1852 a south aisle, designed by Miles Thompson, was added. Revd Addison then had financial problems, and he sold the church to the town in 1855. It was consecrated as a parish church during the following year. Following this, a number of alterations and additions were made by the Manchester architect J. S. Crowther. In 1858 a north aisle and porch were added, followed by an extension to the west of the nave in 1861. In 1871 the Lancaster architects Paley and Austin restored the church, added a chancel and a vestry, and installed an alabaster and mosaic reredos. They also reseated the church, increasing its capacity from 536 to 656. In 1881–82 the same architects carried out work at the east and west ends of the church, and added a central tower. By this time the only remaining parts of the original chapel were the nave roof and the south porch, which had been rebuilt outside the south aisle in 1852.



Accommodations near St Mary's Church, Windermere

View more options near St Mary's Church, Windermere0

Nearby Tours & Activities