De Jager, Woudsend

Woudsend, Netherlands

De Jager, Woudsend

De Jager (English: The Hunter) is a smock mill in Woudsend, Friesland, Netherlands which was built in 1719 and is in working order. The mill is listed as a Rijksmonument.

De Jager was built in 1719 for Age Machiels Tromp and Jeanette Wilhelmina van Broekhuizen. By 1925, the mill was in the ownership of Siebolt Nauta en Zonen, who were declared bankrupt in 1934. They were followed by J Westerhof. In 1935, the loss of a sail brought an end to working by wind power. It worked by electric motor until 1970, but the cap and sails were removed c.1950. The mill was restored in 1975-76. A new cap, windshaft, sails and stage were required. The windshaft came from a drainage mill at Kantens, Groningen that had been demolished in January 1961. In 1965, the mill was sold to the Stichting Zon en Vrijheid. Further restorations were carried out in 1994, and also in 2008-10. The mill is now owned by the Stichting Houtzaagmolen De Jager. It is listed as a Rijksmonument, № 39828.



Accommodations near De Jager, Woudsend

View more options near De Jager, Woudsend0

Nearby Tours & Activities