Lindenhof

Zürich, Switzerland

Lindenhof

9.2

The Lindenhof, in the old town of Zürich, Switzerland, is the historical site of the Roman castle, and the later Carolingian Kaiserpfalz. It is situated on Lindenhof hill, on the left side of the Limmat at the Schipfe.

In 1747, a second-century Roman tombstone was discovered at the site, bearing the oldest attestation of Turīcum, the Roman-era name of Zürich, as STA[tio] TURIC[ensis], at the time a tax-collection point. The castle remained intact during the early phase of Alemannic immigration in between the fifth and sixth centuries, but was derelict by the ninth century, when it was rebuilt as a residence for Louis the German. It later became dilapidated and used as a source of building stone by the 13th century.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Lindenhof

View more options near Lindenhof

Nearby Tours & Activities